Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloweeen

Happy Halloween to all. Halloween is an alien concept to me. However I like this holiday and have always wanted to wear costume and celebrate it. I also have secretly yearned to go trick or treating even though I am too old for that.

Similar to trick r treating is navarathri sundal hunt in India. Trick or treating takes me back to my childhood when I stayed with my aunt and uncle. According to Hindu mythology Navarathri is celebration of  9 nights honoring goddess Durga who killed evil and protected the good. During that time we had a huge display of various dolls called kolu at home. We as children knocked every house every night and asked for Navarathri kolu sundal. Sundal is a protein rich snack made during those 9 nights.Members of each home will hand the children with the snack. We used to hold it in a cloth bag or even skirts ( ewww i know but all the play with germs never harmed us!) and bring them all back to a place called thinnai in a south Indian house. Thinnai is the porch of the house usually supported by pillars. It was a lovely corner for children to play. We used to mix all of them and eat the most healthy snack sundal. We even had a song when we knocked the houses. It is similar to christmas carols and halloween trick or treating combined.

Today I have planned to dress up as a witch ( not much of a transition u see LOL) and Daksha is going to be.... well its a surprise. Pictures coming soon. Happy Halloween to all
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment